Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The Rest of Today

Took my little Dahon folding bike to the subway. Off to meet Stacey after her Italian lesson. My Dahon is so cute and small that you don't really feel like you're on a bike; you feel more like you're just rolling along on your own volition without a vehicle under you. And it hardly takes up any room on the subway so you don't get nasty looks from other passengers. I try to avoid taking my bike during crowded times but it's nice that bikes are now permitted on NYC subways. If it starts to rain, if you get tired, if you want to start your bike ride from, let's say Manhattan and continue from there onwards, being able to take you bike on the subway is very neat.

I got out of the "B" train (we finally got our "D" back but now they call it a "B". Don't ask why; nobody really knows; the point is it runs up 6th Avenue in Manhattan and not up Broadway as the Q did for all these 10 past years or so while the TA repaired the Manhattan Bridge)- I got off at Broadway-Lafayette and called Stacey on her cell. "I'm at Broome and Broadway," she says so I rolled the few blocks down Broadway to where she was and we walked (she walked; I walked but had to roll my bike alongside) around Soho. We headed up to Bob's new restaurant once again: I wanted to show it to Stacey. Bob wasn't there but his partner, Bert, was. There was a lot of work being done: painting, carpentering. It's not so easy to open a restaurant and they're planning for mid-June.

Stacey and I ate next door at La Palette a cute, French bistro (that's all there is in Soho: everything is either French or Italian, including the people who work there and the customers who frequent these places).

We then headed home but with a quick stop for bread at Balthazar, the trendy bistro on Spring Street. We don't care about the trendy part or the restaurant part but we do love their baguettes. We're bread lovers and theirs are just about the best there are. Try one. Their little retail bakery abuts their restaurant and is located at 80 Spring Street (between Broadway and Lafayette Street).


My Dahon folder in front of Balthazar on Spring Street.


Spring Street, Soho.

We're headed out again at 6 PM after getting home at 4 pm. Stacey to a meeting on the Mid East; I to meet Lonnie at Sammy's Noodle in the Village. What was that I said this morning about relaxation??


No comments: