Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Nuke 'em!

Went to the gym today and eavesdropped on a conversation. Seems the revelation of the torture and abuse by U.S. soldiers of Iraquis is quickly forgotten in the wake of the beheading of the young American man this week. But, not wanting to give up the discussion to the mercy of the media blitz, I interjected. "Seems to be an awful lot of anger over there. Maybe it has something to do with all those pictures we've been watching over the last week or so." To which thought, all agreed. Of course, I continued, this whole war is a disaster born on the wings of monstruous lies by Bush and his cronies. To which thought, all agreed again.

Later on I heard one of these muscular young men talking again." Nuke 'em, that's what we should do. That'll take care of the matter." I jumped in again. "You don't really mean that do you? You want to drop a nuclear bomb on all of Iraq and kill everyone? Children, mothers, grandparents, babies .... everyone? Kill them all? I thought we were there to save people; to deliver freedom and democracy?" Silence. But I think he's thinking more about these utterances that slip so easily from some non-thinking minds. Easy prey for Fox and their ilk I thought. But if progressive folks get to talk to them they quickly adopt another attitude entirely.

And from Kerry? Is this guy for real? What are his advisors advising him?? I really want to know. Virtual silence in the face of this foreign policy disaster. His ads, so far, have been pitiful. It's very hard for me to get excited about him. And if it's hard for me, imagine how the rest of the American people view him. Anyone have a clue how to get this guy fired up? I've written a few letters to his campaign but it seems it'll take more than that to get him going.

If you want to get cheered up a little you should be listening to Air America Radio. It's the new liberal radio network and quite good. Entertaining, too. In New York it's on 1190 AM. And that's 24/7. Al Franken's show is on every day fro 12 to 3 and I really enjoy that.

You can also stream the programs at their website: Air America Radio

Yesterday was beautiful. Today was too but now it's blowing up outside and thick clouds are rolling in. Looks like rain.

Later!

No comments: