Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Dinner With Lonnie.
Lunch With The Old Mayfair Crew.

Last night I had dinner with Lonnie. We met at our regular location: Sammy's Noodle Shop on Sixth Avenue in the Village (corner of W 11th Street). We were supposed to meet at 7:30 but I got there late (another side effect of retirement which has only made a bad habit of tardiness, worse) at eight. Fortunately, he was late also so ... no problem. However, Lonnie is a starving individual so he had already polished off a small soup and was in the process of devouring a steamer of Har Gow (shrimp dumplings) that he is, to put it very midly, very fond of. Never you mind, he was ready for more.

I placed my usual Sammy's order: roast port wonton (a bowl big enough to bathe in) which ideally must be seen to be appreciated. But I'll try anyway: imagine the very most delicious wonton broth in a huge bowl that is overflowing with plump, tasty wontons. On top of that load on what appears to be an entire order of pristine sliced roast pork. Add a nice amount of chopped scallions and voilá, you have the world's greatest wonton soup (IMHO). I accompany this with the world's greatest egg roll which is available there as well. Oh yes, and a cold Tsingtao beer.

Lonnie showed me a new camera, a super duper new Canon Powershot Pro 1, which is now their new top digital camera in the "all-in-one" category. I was very impressed. Click here for more information


Lonnie at Sammy's with his new Canon.

Finally, I have to relate one funny item (funny to me), regarding Sammy's and what may relate to a difference in cultures or attitudes. Several years ago we were experiencing a water shortage in New York. Sammy's, like many other restaurants, would not serve you water unless you requested it. They went a bit further and posted large "Save Water" signs around the restaurant. Well the water shortage came and went, but the signs remained for a year or so. During that period of time I noticed that a faucet in the men's bathroom developed a drip. The drip got worse each time I visited until finally it was a steady stream of water, pouring out unregulated. The Save Water sign was still dutifully hung in the dining room while the restaurant wasted water in its bathroom. I pointed this out to the management but the irony of the situation may have escaped them.

Finally, after complaining several times, the hostess replied that they had been having a tug of war with the landlord over who was responsible and that he promised to repair it this week.

Well, I visited again several weeks later and, can you believe it, it was fixed! New washers finally installed you might venture to guess? Um, not quite. The solution was much simpler: duct tape was tightly wound round and round the lever type faucet thus holding it down tight. Water still poured out, but hey! They tried.


Now why didn't I think of that?

----

This morning I headed over to Sissy's again for her third computer lesson. We concentrated on starting the Email program and reading her waiting messages. She seems to get confused over the multiplicity of windows that might open from reading messages and clicking on various links. But I'm an optimist and I do believe she's getting the hang of it. Just a few more lessons and some practice and she'll be surfing the web like a pro.

After Sissy's I picked up my brother and headed to Sheepshead Bay to Chikurin sushi restaurant. We were meeting our old buddy and employee, Vlad Sorkin. This is the second time the three of us have gotten together for lunch. We talked old times and business opportunities and generally had a great time.


Vlad and Lee at Chikurin in Sheepshead Bay.


The three ex-Mayfair stalwarts at lunch today.

If you feel that this Blog has been slanted in favor of topics dealing with food and the consumption of same, you're probably right. I've been eating too much lately. What happened to that pledge I made myself several weeks ago: smaller portions, more sharing of entrees when eating out, more salads and less heavy protein? Where is that damned pledge? I know it's around here somewhere.

No comments: