Wednesday, June 23, 2004

It Was A Great D & D Day --- Like The Ol' Days.

So you want to know what a D&D day is, ay? It's what Dani and I use to call a day spent together, i.e. A "Daddy and Daughter day. And despite the gloomy, rainy day-meanor there was sunshine in our hearts.

I actually made it out of bed at 6:30 and got going pretty quickly. Stopped at Bagel Boys for one of their great poppy seed bagels (what do you think? Is this Blog very food-centric or what??)and then headed east, up the New York, Connecticut shore on I-95. Periodically I came to a standstill due to grass-cutting, construction, road narrowing, you name it. And I arrived at Dani's after a 3 hour trip around noon and hungry. Dani was hungry too.

Dani had asked me to come up for Father's Day but I wasn't about to make that I-95 trip on a summer Sunday so I postponed it till today. Dani lives in Groton which is across the Thames River from New London. I like Connecticut - inland and shore. Can't say why but there's something very familiar and reassuring about it. So many beautiful rivers running out to Long Island Sound. Beautiful old architecture, quaint villages. To be sure, it has its problems also: the glaring contrast of a concentration of super rich along side loads of grinding poor people. And then there was today's news: the resignation of the corrupt, Republican governor, Rowland (good riddance, he stunk anyway).

We drove the few miles to Mystic Seaport and had a lovely lunch at the S&P Oyster Bar overlooking the Mystic River and the old draw bridge that defines the main street. As we sat, the rain started and the river was covered with a lovely pitter-patter pattern. Boats passed by and it was a lovely and fun time shared with my beautiful daughter.

I had been up late the night before and awoke very early so we yawningly headed back to Dani's house, her two cute dogs and the couch where we hung out, chatted, joked, read the Times and napped.

I left for home at five just as Dani received a call from Erik who was far, far away. These phone calls are few and far between due to his job so not wanting to interrupt it, I simply gave her a big kiss and hug and headed back down 95 and home. Just one of those days that you want to remember for a long time. Good night, Dani. Love you. - DAD


Me, in Mystic, at lunch.


My daughter treated me to lunch. She was cold, so my jacket but her pretty smile!


A boat on its way to the Sound. The draw bridge goes straight up to let it pass!

No comments: