Saturday, February 19, 2005

Winter Park

Feb 19, 2005

It's very cold today. But beautiful. Last night the temperature descended to 16 degrees. It has barely reached 30 today and a frigid wind is whipping out of the north. Too cold to bike. Um, no. I thought I would run a few errands - visit the bank, mail a letter at the post office. But just riding a few blocks, my face started to numb and my fingers froze. I rode over to Prospect Perks on my way back, stopping for a bowl of Mary's homemade chicken soup. Reinvigorated (and warmed) I decided to check out the park. What was it like on a winter day like this? Would people brave the cold and venture out?

Not many. Here and there was the occasional jogger or a lone walker lost in thought. A gaggle of cyclists whizzed by intent on circling the park in the fastest time possible. Not I. No, I bicycled gently - feeling like I had the entire park to myself. Some of the vast meadows were completely empty - not a single soul to divide me from my commune with a frozen nature.

The last time I cycled through the park was the fall when it was ablaze with autumnal splendor. Now the leaves were gone and the trees stood bare and silhouetted against a brilliant sky.


A lone runner, a few cyclists, a walker lost in thought- that's the park on a cold winter day.


Such stark beauty in the trees without their leaves.


Walking with long shadows and a frozen pond.


No comments: