Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Meeting An Old Friend In L.A.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Where from comes all our energy? I wonder. After spending the day running here and there with my cousins, we returned to our hotel. We had to meet my old friend, Matt Berkelhammer for dinner. Matty and his friend, Maya, called for us at our hotel and we had some drinks in the lobby bar. We were able to rest an hour or so because our dinner date with Matty and Maya was at 10 o'clock. We were going to the Catalina Bar And Grill for dinner and a Chick Correa concert. Correa, the jazz pianist and his ensemble were appearing at this cozy and small venue. Although I knew the name, I was not really familiar with his music. But that quickly changed and it was a great and talented performance.



Matty, Matt and Maya - the three M's.



Stacey and our friends.


We had a very nice time - the performers, brilliant and the food very good. The company - the best. It was so nice seeing Matty again, this time in his home town (for the last 30+ years). Matty and I were young activists together in the 60's and shared many wonderful times together. One that stands out was our canoe trip on Lake George in the New York Adirondack mountains. Matty taught me how to paddle a canoe (a five minute lesson that I've never forgotten).

But was I tired. This day had been the high point of our trip to L.A. Meeting forgotten family and rekindling old friendships; celebrating my birthday with people I love ... it was a very special day.


Chick Correa and part of his group at the Catalina Cafe in L.A.

No comments: