Thursday, September 02, 2004

Aunt Sissy's Birthday

August 31, 2004

My Aunt Sissy celebrated her 84th birthday today and we took her out to Manhattan. Now this is the week of demonstrations against the RNC and perhaps I wasn't thinking straight. Manhattan appeared to be an armed camp. Police were everywhere and helicopters hovered overhead. Coupled with the summer heat, the city had a decisively edgy and ominous feel to it.

But we had a nice evening despite Bloomberg and his mounties. We dined at East Of Eighth, which we've been to many times. Oddly enough, it's just east of Eighth Avenue. It has an eclectic menu and has, among many things on its menu, the best matzoh ball soup in the city (in my opinion). Tonight, though, we stumbled upon their All You Can Eat - Barbecue In The Garden special. For $20, if you sit in the garden (which is lovely) you partake in Chef Marty's barbecue and it was a treat - a great variety of salads, chips and guacamole and fabulous entrees: ribs, smoked brisket, roasted salmon and fantastic barbecued chicken. They do this every Tuesday night(ending on Halloween) and I highly recommend it.


My aunt Sissy and Stacey in front of East Of Eighth.


A cake was brought out with one candle. Make a wish!


The three of us in the garden - stuffed after Chef Marty's barbecue.

It was a lovely evening. I think my aunt enjoyed it also.

No comments: