Monday, July 05, 2004

Leaving the hoopla behind

Saturday July 3, 2004

I really didn't feel like spending the 4th in the city, so Saturday morning I accepted an invite from Lonnie and Monique and headed upstate. Got up there and my friends promptly announced that we were going to a party at their neighbor's house, down the road and on the banks of the Neverskink River. Well, this didn't sound so excting to this city boy and his stereotyped view of country folks. Was I wrong!


Monique - dressed for the party at a neighbor's house.


The view of the Neversink from the screened porch of Joyce and Dutch's house.

The six acre spread of Dutch and Joyce, along the sparkling Neversink, was not extravagant but was lovely and cozy. Dutch is a retired restauranteur from Peekskill. I think that his restaurant was called The Red Shutter. Joyce and he are older than my friends or I. He's a genuine character: fisherman, hunter, fabulous cook and a wonderful host. His hands are strong and very large, looking like he has worked hard with them his whole life. He may have retired from the restaurant life but today he still cooked up a storm. In addition to a genuine Sabrett's hot dog stand (a la New York), there was a fantatic home-cooked buffet: osso bucco or sauerbraten, both made with venison (which I've never tried before)- wonderful. Also, rabbit, a chicken dish, noodles, potato salad, baked beans and more. And then there was wine - apparently he also makes his own wine; but we're not talking a couple of bottles that he mixed up with some home made equipment. We're talking hundreds of bottles that he made as part of a group of local winemakers: there was San Giovese, Merlot and other varieties made from grapes imported from California. This wine was as good as any I've ever tasted.


Our host: the ebullient Dutch.


These ribs were quite wonderful. They tasted good too.


Barbara, Dutch and Joyce's daughter, was helping out with the cooking.


Um, could I have some also?


Dutch and Monique.


Rick, Gail and Dutch. Rick is holding a
copy of his new book, The Art Of The Matryoshka.

I returned to their house with Lonnie and Monique and the three of us jumped into the pool for an early evening swim.What a wonderful day. Again, perfect weather and I'd lost some of my city-snob bias as well.

No dinner tonight - we had just had an enormous feast!

.......

Sunday, July 4, 2004

We were up early and Monique was making sausage and eggs when I made my appearance in the kitchen. I slept in the "new room" which had been renovated a year ago: the original low ceiling had been disappeared and now the room soared upwards into the attic and up to the roof with a new cathedral-like ceiling. New windows (many of them) opened the room up to fabulous views of their field and swimming pool and also let in the cool country air ... that made falling asleep real easy.


Self portrait: Me in the "new" room.

One of the purposes of my visit was to give Monique a lesson on how to use her new Sony digital camera which Lonnie had given her months ago. She's a fast learner so we had a practice session after the lesson and she uploaded some of her product shots to Ebay. I gave her an "A".


Monique putting pictures on to her computer from her camera.

After the lesson we hang out on the deck and in the pool. Lonnie, as always, busied himsef with a task - I guess that's why their place looks as great as it does. It gets the attention it needs and whenever it needs it.


Lonnie never seems to stop working.


A nice shot of my best friend Lonnie.

Lunch was served on the deck: hot dogs, beans, some of the great Balthazar baguette that I had brought up with me yesterday and frozen margeritas. Well, there went my plan to leave "after lunch." Not after those drinks. I ended up taking a nap (a long one) and then dinner was served. I finally headed home at about 9 or so, reaching Brooklyn after midnight.

Tomorrow is the last day of the holiday and the last day of my solitude. Stacey returns Tuesday afternoon. I can't say I haven't enjoyed this interlude: plenty of time to reflect but plenty of activity also. I don't think I'd enjoy living alone. Too much alone time ... alone with my thoughts which run in many directions. I'm basically a social guy and enjoy the company of a companion. So ... I'm looking forward to Tuesday and Stacey's return. Can't wait to hear about her experiences in Palestine which she has said has been the most exciting trip of her life.

No comments: